Porto Cheli is located 180 kilometres south-western from Athens. Scenery coastal village built amphitheatrically in one of the best naturally sea shelters of Peloponnese, Porto Heli turned in a cosmopolitan destination because of the geographic place and the mild climate.
How to get to Porto-Heli :
- By Car : The distance from the International airport of Athens (El. Venizelos) is covered by car (taxi or rent a car) in approximately 2 hours and 30 minutes and by bus in 3 hours with a stop on the Korinth Canal.
- By Boat : From the harbour of Piraeus there are daily at least 3 itineraries that cover the way to Porto Cheli with intermediate stations to the islands of Saronic Bay in 2.10 to 2.30 hours approximately depending on the stops on the island Spetses and Hydra.
brief history of Porto Heli :
- Porto Heli was named after the old lake which is placed at the back of the town of Porto Heli and was used for the stockfarming of Eels. The ancient city of Porto Heli was called Alieis and is located in the opposite end of the bay across the village. The Akropolis of Alieis is found at the top. The Walls had 5 entrances and protected a region of 45 hectares. Inside the walls existed approximately 500 residences with 2500 residents. The main activity of the residents were the agriculture and the livestock-farming.
take advantage of the unique location of Porto-Heli and visit :
- the islands Spetses and Hydra
- Ancient Theatre of Epidaurus :The ancient theatre of Epidaurus is hardly 45 minutes from Porto Heli and due to the summer Festival, a lot of visitors combine their holidays with a night performance.The ancient Asklipieio Museum of Epidaurus is open daily and a visit to the theatre is imposed!
- Mycenaes : Mycenae ‘Rich in Gold’, the kingdom of mythical Agamemnon, first sung by Homer in his epics, is the most important and richest palatial centre of the Late Bronze Age in Greece. Hardly 1 hour and 10 minutes from Porto Heli, a visit to Mycenaes as well as to Nafplio, the first capital of modern Greece, constitutes an important daily excursion. Do not miss to visit Palamidi and admire the view of Nafplio from high above.
- .Poros : Poros is 65 kilometres from Porto Heli. The coastal road is beautiful and passes you near the lemon tree forest. Although it is a pleasant drive the road turns will delay you and you will cover the distance in approximately 1 hour. In Galata you will take the ferry that covers the drive in 5 minutes.
- Monembasia :Monembasia is a good day-long excursion. This excursion is available in the high season with traditional tourist ships.